Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fall Plants- Compact Strawberry Bush, Snow N Jasmine, Encore Azaleas and more.

I thought I’d show you my fall plantings. We planted all around the property fence line.


First up is the Snow N Summer Jasmine. It’s a ground-cover, is an evergreen and flowers white. It grows about 5 inches tall and spreads about 3 feet out. I’m told it has a nice fragrance so I'm excited about that.


Further down in it's own little corner we planted an Emerald Blueberry. This is supposed to get 18 to 24 inches high and should bear fruit next July. Again, I’ll let you know.

Next is an Orange Rocket Barberry. I quickly found out that this plant has thorns when I grabbed the first one and pulled it out of the pot! It’s deciduous (the leaves fall off the plant in the winter) and will grow about 4 feet tall. This is perfect because I don’t want the holly plants which are behind the Barberry to be hidden from view. It will give a nice step effect. The leaves start out coral orange in the spring, turn green in the summer and ruby red in autumn. These are deer resistant plants so if you have problems with deer you may want to try planting it.



Encore azaleas in red and white are planted in front of the others along the driveway. I think we planted 8 of these.

Purple Diamond Compact Loropetalum. These are evergreen and are deer resistant as well. This shrub gets pretty pink flowers in the spring and the deep purple foliage lasts all season long.


Lastly and the most exciting plant for me is this Compact Strawberry Bush. Starts out with white flowers followed by red and yellow strawberry like fruit. (If you look closely you can see the berries starting to form). This is a drought tolerant plant and can be used as a single plant like this one or as a hedge. It’s an evergreen. It will attract hummingbirds and butterflies. This blooms fall through late winter. And, if your dogs like berries as much as mine do, they aren't poisonous. That was my number one concern.


That’s it for the fall. I can’t wait to see all this grow up and fill out. What have you planted lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment